Guardianship of A Minor - Prepare Court Forms
Authored by Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma
This is a free and secure service provided by Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma and LawHelpInteractive.
LawHelpInteractive helps you create legal forms and documents.
Answer a series of questions and print your legal form.
The forms are free and have been created by nonprofit legal aid programs and courts. They are for use by legal aid advocates, pro bono lawyers, and people representing themselves.
How do I fill out court forms for Guardianship of A Minor?
This program is not for all situations.
You may be able to use this program to fill out and print court forms if:
- You are an adult (over 18 years of age) and want to be appointed guardian of a child or children;
- You have lived in Oklahoma for at least one year OR, you are seeking guardianship of a blood relative;
- You are a blood relative (the grandparent, aunt or uncle or some other relative by blood to the child or children); and,
- The child (or children) has no income or property; and,
- Your appointment will most likely NOT be contested by the child's parent.
If you are requesting a co-guardian, he or she must either be:
- related to the child by blood, or
- related to you by marriage.
Native American child?
- If the child or children is of Native American decent, and have a Certificate of Indian Blood or tribal affiliation card, you must notify the Tribe.
If either natural parent are of native american descent and have a Certificate of Indian Blood or tribal affiliation card, you must notify BOTH:
the tribe or tribes, if more than one
link opens the current list of Designated Tribal Agents for Notices:
link opens a pdf of the January 17, 2014 Federal Register page Lising the BIA Regions and Designated Tribal Agents by Region
- link opens the current list of Designated Tribal Agents for Notices:
the BIA Area Office
link opens a website with a map of the BIA Area Offices for Notifying Tribes
- link opens a website with a map of the BIA Area Offices for Notifying Tribes
- the tribe or tribes, if more than one
Do you have all the information you will need?
- Open and read the CHECKLIST AND THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT A CHILD GUARDIANSHIP; AND,
Gather all of the information you need to fill out the forms. Print this Questionnaire to get you started:
- Talked to a lawyer if you have any questions.
Does your computer have the right software?
- You do not need any expensive software, it's all free.
If possible, print documents from a computer using Microsoft Word or WordViewer. Wordperfect or WordPad will also work, but Word is best. READ the document, save it to your computer or a removable driver.
You will need to check the formatting for each of the court forms.
If you use a public computer to print the documents, you may have to pay to print the materials.