Cell Phone Service Contract Termination

Authored By: Stateside Legal


As a member of the Armed Forces, Reserves, National Guard or other uniformed services, you have legal protectImage:  Cell Phone Contract Terminationions for you and your family when you are called into active duty military service.

A law that provides many of these protections is called the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA). This law was made to help protect members of the military and their family who may have trouble with financial and legal issues because of military service.

Under some circumstances you can terminate or suspend your cell phone contract without penalty. You can terminate or suspend your cell phone contract without penalty/fees if:

  • You are required to deploy for ninety (90) days or longer or you have received orders for a permanent change of duty station; and
  • Your ability to satisfy the contract or to use the service will be materially affected by the deployment or permanent change.

The Service Provider must:

  • Grant your request of early termination or suspension of services when they receive your request
  • Not demand any type of penalty for early termination or a reactivation fee if suspending services
  • If deployed outside the continental United States they must permit you to suspend the contract at no charge until the end of the deployment without requiring that you extend the contract.

What does this form do?
This letter is for service members to use to terminate, or suspend, cell phone contracts without penalty or additional fees pursuant to 50 U.S.C. § 535(a) of the Servicemembers’ Civil Relief Act (the “SCRA”).

This is an easy-to-use interactive form. The program will create a sample letter and instructions. You can use this to notify your landlord about the SCRA requirements for return of your security deposit.

  1. Answer a few simple questions. 
  2. Print out your form (letter and instructions). 
  3. Proofread and sign it.
  4. Attach a copy of your orders. 
  5. Make copies for your own records. 
  6. Send the original, with attachments, to your landlord.

Interactive Form - SCRA Letter from Commanding Officer

Last Review and Update: Aug 12, 2021
Volver arriba