Disaster Assistance from HUD


HUD will provide support to homeowners and low-income renters forced from their homes due to tornadoes and severe storms.

On May 22, 2013, HUD Secretary Donovan reinforced an existing Federal Housing Administration (FHA) policy that mortgage lenders should release insurance payments to homeowners rather than applying these funds toward outstanding mortgage debt.  Read FHA’s policy.

President Obama's May 2013 disaster declaration for Cleveland, Lincoln, McClain, Oklahoma and Pottawatomie counties allowing HUD to offer foreclosure relief and other assistance to certain families living in these counties.

“We will stand with Oklahomans for as long as it takes,” said Donovan. “As families begin the difficult process to recover from this devastating storm, HUD stands ready to help in any way we can.”

If you received HUD Rental Assistance  - contact you Public Housing Authority, multi-family apartment manager or local HUD office for temporary housing

If you did not receive HUD assistance before the disaster should contact FEMA for help with temporary housing. 

HUD will assist homeowners by:

  • Granting immediate foreclosure relief for homeowners with FHA-insured mortgages– HUD granted a 90-day moratorium on foreclosures and forbearance on foreclosures of Federal Housing Administration (FHA)-insured home mortgages;
  • Making mortgage insurance available to allow those who lost their homes to get 100% mortgage financing–HUD's Section 203(h) program provides FHA insurance to disaster victims who have lost their homes and are facing the daunting task of rebuilding or buying another home. Borrowers from participating FHA-approved lenders are eligible for 100 percent financing, including closing costs;
  • Making insurance available for both mortgages and home rehabilitation – HUD's Section 203(k) loan program enables those who have lost their homes to finance the purchase or refinance of a house along with its repair through a single mortgage. It also allows homeowners who have damaged houses to finance the rehabilitation of their existing single-family home; and

HUD is assisting the State and localities by:

Read about these and other HUD programs designed to assist disaster victims.


If you need help with the mortgage foreclosure relief provided for by HUD, call Legal Aid at 888-534-5243

Last Review and Update: May 23, 2013
Back to top