Disaster unemployment aid available to workers in Cleveland, Lincoln, McClain, Oklahoma and Pottawatomie counties

Authored By: Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma, Inc. LSC Funded


Workers and self-employed individuals in Cleveland, Lincoln, McClain, Oklahoma and Pottawatomie counties who lost work or earnings due to severe storms and tornadoes from May 18, 2013, and continuing have until June 21, 2013, to apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA).

Who qualifies

DUA is available to those who don’t qualify for regular state unemployment benefits.


To be eligible for DUA,you must:

  • have worked or been scheduled to work in the disaster area, but because of the disaster no longer have a job or a place to work in the area, or could not get to the place of work because of disaster damage;
  • have been prevented from working by an injury or illness as a direct result of the disaster; or
  • have become the head of the household and need employment because the head of the household died as a result of the disaster.

Direct result of May 2013 disaster

To claim DUA, unemployment of an affected individual must be a direct result of one of the following:

  • physical damage or destruction of the place of employment;
  • physical inaccessibility of the place of employment due to its closure by the federal, state or local government in immediate response to the disaster; or
  • lack of work or loss of revenues, if prior to the disaster the employer or self-employed business received at least a majority of its revenue or income from an entity in the major disaster area that was damaged or destroyed in the disaster or an entity in the major disaster area closed by the federal, state or local government.

Business owners or self-employed also eligible

Business owners who are self-employed may be entitled to Assistance.

If you are self-employed and have lost all or part of your livelihood as a result of this disaster, you may be
eligible for benefits.

Self-employed workers must provide federal income tax forms (Schedule SE and either Schedule C or Schedule F) to receive disaster unemployment benefits.

To receive DUA benefits, you must:

  • file a claim
  • within 21 days from the day the claim was filed present documentation that shows an employment record at the time of the disaster
  • or verification of the weeks you were scheduled to work.

OESC officials understand that because of property losses, some individuals may not have necessary information readily available. Each claim is considered individually.


Call the OESC Unemployment Insurance Service Center at 1-800-555-1554

Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Here's what you need when you call

  1. Your Social Security number and
  2. the name and address of your last employer or prospective employer.


If you can show 'good cause' why you could not file before June 21st, you may be able to get benefits.
Generally, if you don't file by June 21st, your claim will be denied.

When do benefits start?

The first possible week of compensation for DUA purposes is the week ending May 25, 2013, and the last possible week of compensation is the week ending November 23, 2013.

Need a new job?
Contact their nearest Workforce Oklahoma Center.

At a workforce center, you can access:

  • job search resources,
  • job postings
  • training programs
  • career exploration,
  • résumé and application preparation,
  • career development and more.

OESC’s website

Last Review and Update: May 28, 2013

Looking for a LiveHelp operator...