Skip to main content

Guardianship of a Minor - Prepare Court Forms

Q & A page

Guardianship of A Minor - Prepare Court Forms

Authored by Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma

This is a free and secure service provided by Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma and LawHelpInteractive.
LawHelpInteractive helps you create legal forms and documents.
Answer a series of questions and print your legal form. 

The forms are free and have been created by non-profit legal aid programs and courts. They are for use by legal aid advocates, pro bono lawyers, and people representing themselves.

It is best to use our forms with a computer or laptop with Windows on it. We currently do not support tablet or smartphone use.
Learn more about computer and software requirements on this page.

How do I fill out court forms for Guardianship of A Minor?

This program is not for all situations.
You may be able to use this program to fill out and print court forms if:

  • You are an adult (over 18 years of age) and want to be appointed guardian of a child or children;
  • You have lived in Oklahoma for at least one year OR, you are seeking guardianship of a blood relative; and,
  • The child (or children) has no income or property; and,
  • Your appointment will most likely NOT be contested by the child's parent.


  • If you are requesting a co-guardian, he or she must either be:
    • related to the child by blood, or
    • related to you by marriage.

Native American child?

Do you have all the information you will need?

  • Gather all of the information you need on the questionnaire. Print this Questionnaire to help gather information
  • THREE types of background checks for the propose guardian, do-guardian, and anyone living in the household who is 18 years of age or older
    • a national fingerprint-based criminal background check (like an FBI check); and,
    • a state of Oklahoma background check including the Sex Offenders Registration Act database (like the OSBI check); and,
    • The Oklahoma Department of Human Services just released a new form to request the child abuse and neglect information system check. They are estimating up to 4 weeks for processing.  There is no cost for this search at this time. Download and print the form and instructions here.
  • Come back and use the next pages to complete the online interivew; print your court forms and take them to the court for filing.
  • Talk to a lawyer if you have any questions.

Does your computer have the right software?

If possible, print documents from a computer using Microsoft Word or WordViewer. Wordperfect or WordPad will also work, but Word is best. READ the document, save it to your computer or a removable drive.
You will need to check the formatting for each of the court forms.

If you use a public computer or a courthouse to print the documents, you may have to pay to print the materials.

Check with the nearest Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma office here
If you set up a user account, and save the answers to the interview questions, someone may be able to help you by printing your documents. 
You must log in to the program and save your answers at the end to be able to access them for printing later.

icon: forward

Back to top