Home & Community Based Services Waivers


Some children or adults with severe mental retardation or other related conditions must be cared for in some kind of institution or group home.
If the person can be cared for at home, there are government funds available through the OK Department of Human Services (OK DHS), Developmental Disabilities Service Division to help with medical and other costs.

These funds come through a program called "Home and Community Based Waivers" through OK DHS.

To be eligible for help, you must meet certain conditions.
The person must:

  • be 3 years of age and older;
  • have mental retardation or a related conditions; and,
  • otherwise require placement in an intermediate care facility for the mentally retarded.

Additional requirements to receive a "community waiver" are that a person must:

  • have critical support needs that cannot be met by the In-Home Supports waivers or other services
  • qualify financially for SoonerCare (based on the child or adult's income, not the family)
  • have a disability with a diagnosis of mental retardation, determined by the Social Security Administration or the Oklahoma Health Care Authority Level of Care Evaluation Unit
  • be determined to meet the ICF/MR Institutional Level of Care requirements by the Oklahoma Health Care Authority Level of Care Evaluation Unit
  • meet waiver specific eligibility criteria

OK DHS has 3 service areas. You must apply for services within your area of the state.

This web page has the contact information for the 3 areas:

This web page is the application for services with OK DHS called the Request for Developmental Disabilities Services

Last Review and Update: May 11, 2011
Back to top