Damage to the apartment or house during the lease - If you or your guests cause damage beyond normal “wear and tear,” the Landlord may give you written notice that you have 10 days to make repairs or clean. If you do not have the repairs made within 10 days of the written notice, the Landlord may enter and repair the damage or clean it and give you an itemized bill for the repairs or cleaning the next time your rent is due.
Health & Safety - If you break a rule in your lease and it affects the health or safety of others, the Landlord may give you written notice that if you do not fix the problem within 10 days, you have 15 days to move out or the you may be sued for eviction. If you fix the problem within 10 days, the Landlord may not evict you at the end of 15 days.
Emergencies - If you cause a fire, flood or other emergency situation, the Landlord may evict you with 24 to 48 hours written notice.
Criminal Activity - A Landlord may immediately file an eviction case in court if you, anyone who lives with you, or your guest: conduct drug-related criminal activity at or near the place rented OR they commit a crime that threatens anyone’s health, safety or peaceful enjoyment of their home. The Landlord must only give you a 24 hour written notice that your lease is being terminated.
Property (Items you leave behind)
- If you are evicted, the sheriff will post a notice on your door.
- You ONLY HAVE 48 hours to remove your property.
- If you leave property behind, you must pay the landlord what you owe before you can get your property back. The landlord can charge storage fees.
- If the Landlord believes the property has no value, they can throw it away.
- If the Landlord believes the property is worth something, they can mail notice to your last known address and give you two choices:
- You can pick up your property before a certain date and pay what you owe; OR,
- If you do not pick up the property, the Landlord may sell the property and use the money to pay any rent you owe. You will be charged for the cost of the sale and any storage.