Replacing Important Documents After a Disaster

Authored By: Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma, Inc. LSC Funded


How do I replace my driver’s license or Oklahoma ID card?


If you are renewing, replacing or applying for your driver license, you must present two forms of identification - primary and secondary.

Between 21 and 26 years of age

You must show two things:

  • A certified state birth certificate and
  • a notarized affidavit (available at tag agencies or the Department of Public Safety)
    • The affidavit must be completed by another licensed Oklahoma driver who is at least 21 years of age and who verifies the identity of the applicant.

Male, 18 to 25 years of age

You must prove you have complied with selective service requirements to renew, replace or apply for your driver license.The forms is available at the US Post Office or at


Out of State applicants

If you are living out of state, this form and information sheet will help you get a new drivers' license or state ID card.


Primary identification documents

  • Oklahoma driver license
  • Oklahoma identification card
  • Out-of-state driver license
  • State-issued certified birth certificate
  • Passport
  • I-94 card with passport
  • court order with full name, date of birth, district judge signature and court clerk's seal
  • Military ID card
  • Military dependent ID card
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs identification card
  • Oklahoma tribal ID card
  • Alien registration card
  • Reinstatement orders issued by the Department of Public Safety to applicants with Oklahoma license on file


Secondary identification documents

  • Minors (under age 18) a parent or guardian must appear in person, show proof of identity and sign an affidavit
  • For any applicant for replacement age 21 to 26, a notarized affidavit from another license driver age 21 or older
  • Any primary identification (see list above)
  • Oklahoma student ID with photo
  • Oklahoma employer ID with photo
  • Gun permit
  • Pilot's license
  • Oklahoma voter registration card
  • Social Security card
  • Health insurance card
  • Medicare/Medicaid card or medical eligibility card
  • Medical records from a doctor or hospital
  • Oklahoma motor vehicle registration or title
  • Certified school record or transcript
  • Military discharge form DD-214 (unless marked "not be used for identification")
  • Original or certified copy of marriage license or separation or divorce judgment
  • Original or certified copy of professional degree, certificate or license
  • Original high school, college or university diploma
  • Insurance policy
  • Official certified deeds or title to property in Oklahoma, including burial plots

How do I replace my social security card?  What about my child's social security card?

Replacement Card for Adult

Replacement Card for a Child


At this time there is no emergency procedure to replace your Social Security card.

To replace your social security care, you must show one other form of identification, such as a driver’s license.

If you were born outside the U.S., you must prove your US citizenship or current work-authorized status.

You must show evidence of :

  • your age (birth certificate, pasport, adoption decree)
  • your identity  (drivers license, ID card, military id or passport)
  • citizenship or immigration status

You will need to complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5).

You will have to show documents proving your identity,

Call SSA  at 1-800-772-1213 if you cannot provide these documents.


This is the form and information from the SSA you need to file:

Info and application form SSA -5

You can mail the form or take it to the nearest Social Security Card Center. Find the nearest location here:




To replace a Social Security card for a child:

Step 1:  Gather documents proving your:

Step 2:  Gather documents proving your:

Step 3:  Complete an Application for a Social Security card.

Step 4:  Take or mail the completed application and documents to your local Social Security office or your local Social Security Card Center.

All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency.  SSA cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.  Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.

Important Information

SSA will mail your card as soon as they have verified all required documents.  You should receive the card within 10 business days from the date on the receipt.  The replacement card will have the same number as the previous card.

Knowing the Social Security number is what is important and you may not need a replacement card immediatly.

You do need a Social Security number to get a job, collect Social Security benefits and receive some government services but you do not always need to show your Social Security card.

How do I replace my debit card?

Your bank will tell what you need to do to replace your bank card.

If you keep documents in your bank’s safety deposit box,ask if the boxes are intact.
If you can’t remember how to contact your bank or credit union, call FDIC’s toll-free number: 1-877-275-3342, for contact information.

How do I replace my lost checks?

Your bank will help you report lost checks and get replacements.

How do I replace my credit card?

Call your credit card company if your credit card was not issued by your bank. Major credit card companies

What else can serve as proof of identity? 


Military ID

Employer ID card

Adoption Record

School ID card

Life Insurance Policy

Marriage or divorce record

Health Insurance card (not a Medicare card)



Last Review and Update: May 27, 2013

Looking for a LiveHelp operator...