Replacing Important Documents After a Disaster

Authored By: Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma, Inc. LSC Funded


¨ How do I replace my driver’s license?

Contact the local Oklahoma Department of Public Safety office or a tag agency. You may find  more information on the following website:

¨ How do I replace my social security card?

At this time there is no emergency procedure to replace your Social Security card. Currently, the replacement procedure requires another form of identification, such as a driver’s license. You will need to complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5). You will have to show documents proving your identity, and other documents. The process is explained on the SSA website:

¨ How do I replace my debit card?

Call your bank. They will tell you what their procedures are. If you keep documents in your bank’s safety deposit box, you may want to ask if the boxes are intact. If you can’t remember how to contact your bank or credit union, call FDIC’s toll-free number: 1-877-275-3342, for contact information.

¨ How do I replace my lost checks?

Call your bank. They will tell you how to report lost checks and get replacements.

¨ How do I replace my credit card?

Call your credit card company if your credit card was not issued by your bank. Major credit card  companies include:

American Express: 1-800-992-3404

Discover: 1-800-347-2683

MasterCard: 1-800-627-8372

VISA: 1-800-847-2911

¨   What else can serve as proof of identity?

Passport                                              Military ID

Employer ID card                          Adoption Record

School ID card                                 Life Insurance Policy

Marriage or divorce record    Health Insurance card (not a Medicare card)


Disaster Legal Services Hotline



Last Review and Update: Jun 07, 2019

Looking for a LiveHelp operator...