Stalking Awareness - Know It - Name It - Stop It!
Authored By: OK Coalition Against Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault
Ok Coalition Against Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault: (405) 524-0700
Oklahoma Safeline: 1-800-522-SAFE
Stalking Statistics from the Stalking Resource Center
- 1 in 6 women and 1 in 19 men have experienced stalking victimization at some point during their lifetime.
- About 1 in 5 female victims and 1 in 14 male victims experienced stalking between the ages of 11 and 17.
- 2/3 of stalkers pursue their victims at least once per week, many daily, using more than one method.
- 78% of stalkers use more than one means of approach. Weapons are used to harm or threaten victims in 1 out of 5 cases.
- Almost 1/3 of stalkers have stalked before.
January is Stalking Awareness Month! KNOW More!
Know It ~ Name It ~ Stop It!
“The prevention of stalking has become a statewide initiative. By joining forces with allies in the private sector, government, non-profits, faith community and youth groups we can make a difference. There is a role in prevention for each of us—we all have a responsibility to take action. We each have the power to stop stalking before it begins. We can be the change we want to see in the world.” ~ Marcia Smith, Executive Director, OCADVSA